Sunday, November 3, 2013

year 27

On November 1st I turned 27 years old. I can't believe I was 17 a whopping 10 years ago! It was on my 17th birthday that Austin and I started becoming friends. So strange how random events lead up to huge, life altering decisions.
 
When I was 17 envisioning 27:
I never would have thought I would be in grad school. 
I never would have thought I would be in grad school studying dance.
I never would have thought I would be with Austin. 
I never would have thought I would be married to Austin.
I never would have thought I would be living in Texas. 
I never would have thought I would be living apart from my spouse. 
I never would have thought I would have traveled to Iceland.
I never would have thought I would have traveled to Iceland with Austin
I never would have thought I would have worked full time at a shoe store.
Or a daycare.
Or a university.
I never would have thought I wouldn't be settled into a single, fantastic career yet.
   
But you know what? I wouldn't change a thing. I really wouldn't. Even though certain decisions may not have seemed the best and some life changes have been difficult, I've learned so much about myself and other people and I've had so many amazing experiences… all due to the decisions I made and the time I made them.
  
Several years ago I threw away a life event timeline I had written before I graduated undergrad. It was very specific down to what accomplishments and advancements I would make each year, but it wasn't useful. I think I finally realize that you can't really plan for more than a few months - maybe a year (… maybe…) into the future. There are too many opportunities and happenings that we just don't know will exist until they are right in front of us existing. And I want to be ready to welcome new experiences whenever they'll have me.
  
After all, wouldn't life get boring if I was at the epitome of my career at 25 or 26 or 27? Where would you go from there? What new experiences would be available?
  
I'm ready to go places. Places in my career… places in my family life… and places around the world. 
LET'S DO THIS YEAR 27!
   
(taken at my birthday dinner with great friends Friday evening)

1 comment:

  1. Happy 27th birthday my dear! Even if you haven't figured out where you're going, I'm sure you'll have a hell of an adventure getting there

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog… I love comments & thoughts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...