Saturday, June 23, 2012

staying strong

Today was day 6 of our sugar free week.  It has been very difficult for me.  I love having some tasty chocolate (or a tasty cupcake) after dinner.  Interestingly, Austin has lost 8 pounds so far and I've lost... none.  Yep, not a pound.  I have no clue why because I've also counted calories, out of curiosity, and it all adds up to significantly less calories than usual (in addition to no bad sugars).  We'll see... maybe I'll lose a pound by the end of tomorrow?!

I don't believe this is going to be a permanent diet.  It is too... unfun.  It has definitely made me aware of all of the added sugars I consume in a single day.  I'll keep my "no sugar shelf" and a lower "sugar shelf" in the pantry and fridge to keep track of the things I'm eating that have added sweeteners.

I made this macaroni and cheese recipe on Thursday.  It is pretty good!  Just use the sharpest, tangiest cheddar you can find :)



1.  Boil water in a large pot and then boil 5 ounces of macaroni noodles until tender.
2.  Strain and return macaroni to the pot.
3.  While macaroni is cooking: In a smaller saucepan, mix 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons flour, and 2 tablespoons butter.  Blend until completely melted.
4.  To this smaller pot, add 1/3 cup cream, 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder, 1/2 tsp salt (I used more), 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and cayenne to taste.
5.  Add 4 ounces grated extra sharp cheddar cheese gradually until completely melted and smooth.  Let simmer until thick.
6.  Add sauce to macaroni and eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog… I love comments & thoughts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...