Saturday, June 16, 2012

let's eat...

Other than working 40 hours a week, I've been having a pretty fun summer!
I realized by typing this post that majority of our fun-havings have involved food.  I need to find other fun things to do besides eat!  Eating good food with good friends is just so fun...

We went to Joe T. Garcia's in Fort Worth with our friends Will & Liz.
Tasty food and beautiful, expansive gardens!
We also discovered j.rae's cupcakes.  I have heightened cupcake sensors...

After dinner we made margaritas... 
with super long straws for some reason :) 

We've been to the pool many times already this summer!
It's nice to have 2 different pools in the neighborhood.  
Sometimes we have the pool to ourselves!
Wednesday, Austin and I met up with Erin & her mom & baby.
We tried the burgers and milkshakes at Mr. Frosty's in Denton.  Yum!

My parents went to Italy... awesome, I know!  
They flew in and out of Dallas so when they returned yesterday, 
we ate lunch at Fuzzy's Taco Shop in Denton.  This was funny (read the bottle)...

I also made german chocolate cupcakes for my dad for Father's Day.  
They turned out delicious, even though I can never make them look pretty :)
INGREDIENTS:
Cake...
1 box devil's food cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup sour cream
German Chocolate Frosting...
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup chopped pecans (I omitted)
1 1/2 cup flaky coconut
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting... (best ever)
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar (I used less)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk or cream (I used around 3 tbsp of heavy whipping cream)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners (I made 20).
In a large bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla.
Sift in 1/3 of the cake mix until combined.
Add buttermilk, then another 1/3 of the sifted cake mix.
Add sour cream, then the remaining sifted cake mix.
Fill cupcakes liners 3/4 full and bake 18-22 minutes. (Mine took 18.)
For german chocolate frosting:
In a sauce pan stir evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, and butter over medium heat until thick.
This takes around 15 minutes.  Stir constantly so sugar doesn't caramelize.
Stir in vanilla and coconut (and pecans, if used).  Let cool.
For chocolate buttercream frosting:
Beat together cream cheese and butter for 4 minutes until smooth.
Add cocoa, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.  Beat 3 minutes.
It will probably be too thick, so add as much cream (or milk) as necessary.
When cupcakes are finished and cooled, pipe buttercream frosting around edges.
Fill center with german chocolate frosting, and top with a pecan!

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting my blog… I love comments & thoughts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...