Wednesday, August 17, 2011

ridiculousness...

Well friends, I'm going to rant for a minute.

Austin has been applying for teaching jobs in Texas since he graduated, but there are simply so many arbitrary rules and regulations for out-of-staters I guess they only want to hire Texans.

First of all, he had to apply to get his Oklahoma license to transfer to a 1-year temporary Texas license (even though he has a standard certificate in OK, evidently its not good enough to have a standard certificate in TX). Then he'll have to meet guidelines to be issued a TX standard certificate. Then he was informed that even though he is qualified to teach business and technology in OK, in TX the license will only allow him to apply for business jobs. He'll have to take another test to be able to teach technology courses. In addition to the professional teaching test he'll already have to take to get a standard TX license (once again, even though he already has a standard OK license allowing him to teach business and technology...). Does this make sense? Not to Austin or myself.

I really just don't understand why people can't use common sense and judgement anymore. Everything seems to be determined by whether you have this piece of paper or that piece of paper. And in my opinion, a piece of paper most certainly does not mean you are the best fit for the job. Wouldn't it make sense if people just MET with other people, face to face, and interviewed to see who would be the best candidate? Evidently that is a ridiculous notion. I think the whole education system in this nation has many problems, and this is only one of them. Did I mention he is not being considered for numerous jobs because he doesn't have coaching experience? This is where our priorities are I suppose...

Anyway, I had to get that out. This whole thing is absurd and nonsensical. I hope it changes someday or else I'm not sure if our education system is ever going to improve.

3 comments:

  1. I feel like all jobs need to do some sort of face to face in the process. It gets ridiculous with everything that they want! Hoping this all works out for him and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Rebekah. We sure hope it works out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard about this happening in other states and how it's making the education system basically go down the tubes. Sad. I hope all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog… I love comments & thoughts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...