Sunday, August 21, 2011

love, grandma

As I've been unpacking I find fun things here and there to enjoy.
I ran across a book my great-grandma, Florence Rice, gave me in 1999.
It has lots of nice quotes and advice for motivation and peace, but in the back is space to fill in, and grandma wrote some of her own advice and memories in there for me to have.
I thought I'd share some of what she wrote:

"For all those born before 1945.
We are survivors!!!
Consider the changes we have witnessed:"
"We were born before television, before penicillin, before polio shots, frozen food, xerox, plastic contact lenses, and frisbee. We were born before radar, credit cards, split atoms, laser beams and ball point pens, before panty hose, dishwashers, clothes dryers, electric blankets, air conditioners, drip dry cloths, and before man walked on the moon. We got married first, then lived together. Bunnies were small rabbits, and rabbits were not volkswagens. We thought fast food was what you ate during Lent, outer space was the back of the theatre. We were before house husbands, gay rights, computer dating, dual careers, and computer marriages. We were before day care centers, group therapy, and nursing homes. We never heard of FM radio, tape decks, electric type writers, artificial hearts, word processors, yogurt, and guys wearing earrings. In 1940 'made in Japan' was junk. Pizzas, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of. We hit the scene when there were 5 and 10 cent stores, where you bought things for 5 and 10 cents. Ice cream cones were a nickel, for one nickel you could buy a pepsi, could ride on a street car, make a phone call, or enough stamps to mail a letter and two post cards. You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600. But who could afford one? A pity too, because gas was 11 cents a gallon. In our day cigarette smoking was fashionable, grass was mowed, coke was a cold drink, and pot was something you cooked in. Rock music was grandma's lullaby, and aids were helpers in the principle's office.
No wonder there is such a generation gap today.
But we survived!!!
What better reason to celebrate?"
I thought it was pretty cool. She was born in 1906 and I remember her telling me about hearing when the Titanic sank. She would also tell me about riding a horse to school and having class in a one-room school house. Grandma was awesome at making things, like dolls, blankets, quilts, hats, and popcorn (no one has been able to reproduce her delicious popcorn...). I feel lucky that she taught me to crochet. She gave me a blanket she started for me to finish along with some extra yarn. It is neat to have that passed down so many generations. The whole thing made me think a lot about how plugged-in we are these days. We don't make things from scratch anymore, like blankets, dolls, clothes, etc. We have a machine to do everything for us! And many times I think technology has become more of a hinderance than a help (I say this as I'm sitting in front of my computer blogging on the internet...).

Just some thoughts on how things are evolving...

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure she was an amazing lady. After reading that it seems to me she was very witty! It's so great you have that book to help you remember all the wonderful things about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely thoughts about your great-grandma. Yes, she was a terrific lady. When I joined the family I gained a grandmother, too, which was nice since I never got a chance to know my own grandmothers. Cherish those memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your great-grandma was an incredible person. Wow! Such strong and amazing words.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog… I love comments & thoughts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...