Sunday, May 22, 2011

babycakes...

Being a dancer and having a love of both baking and eating sweets is a tough combo. To make myself feel not as bad about eating delicious sweets for no special reason, I purchased this wonderful cookbook from Amazon:
I was very excited because majority of the recipes are vegan, sugar-free, and gluten-free! And guess what!? After purchasing some odd ingredients at Homeland and Forward Foods, I made the chocolate cupcakes pictured above... they are delicious (even Aust thought so) and incredibly filling (infinitely more so than other delicious cupcakes)!

1 3/4 cup garbanzo-fava bean flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup arrowroot
1 tbsp plus 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp salt
1 cup coconut oil
1 1/3 cup agave nectar
3/4 cup homemade applesauce or
store-bought unsweetened applesauce
3 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup hot water or hot coffee
frosting of choice, if desired

Mis dry ingredients. Add moist ingredients. Stir until smooth. Pour 1/3 cup batter into 12 paper-lined muffin cups. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes, turn pan 180 degrees in the oven, and continue baking another 7 minutes (22 total). Finished cupcakes bounce back in the center when pressed lightly. Cool in tins 20 minutes, then let cool on wire rack. Frost and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Tips:
Use this brand of all of the odd ingredients you can find- works well. It made a LOT of batter. My 12 muffin cups were overflowing (I didn't measure out the 1/3 cup), so I think next time I'll be more precise and probably make more than one batch. Also, the bottle of agave nectar I bought wasn't quite enough to equal 1 1/3 cup agave nectar. So buy a big bottle or a couple of bottles.

Now on my wishlist:

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how interesting! Those cupcakes do look good. I bet everything in that cookbook is delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog… I love comments & thoughts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...